Dear Sixteen-Year-Old Self,
You’re only sixteen now, and it seems like time is going by so slowly. You wish it would hurry up so you can be out on your own, living life the way you want. I remember the feeling all too well, and as I look back now on the you I used to be, I want to share a few things with you. You’ll learn them eventually, but maybe knowing them in advance will prepare you for what lies ahead.
1. You’re nursing a heartache now, and as difficult as it is to say, you will get your heart broken again. And again. But it’s an amazing organ. It’s resilient, and so are you.
2. Don’t waste time on people who clearly don’t want you in their lives. Before you know it, you’ll have spent twenty years trying to convince them they love you when, in the end, there’s no evidence of it.
3. Don’t wait until your late twenties to get serious about writing. You already love it so start focusing now.
4. Don’t get engaged at twenty-one to the first guy who tells you you’re beautiful. He’s not your knight in shining armor. No man is. Learn to love yourself so you don’t have to rely on others to convince you that you’re worthy of love.
5. Forgive those people who have harmed you and don’t spend the next twenty-five years trying to change them. It won’t work, and you can use the effort on something much more productive…like your next book.
6. Sometimes you need help in life. Don’t be so independent that you refuse to ask for it.
7. You’ll make some pretty big mistakes over the next fifteen years or so. Be ready to forgive yourself. Those mistakes will make you a stronger person.
8. Know that whatever lies ahead, you are strong enough to handle it.
Life isn’t easy, but it’s worth living every day. So reach for those dreams. Plan for the day when you will wrap your hand around the brass ring.
And one thing to remember, bitterness hurts more the vessel in which it’s stored than where it’s poured. If you can learn that now, your twenties will be a lot easier. Trust me on this one. I’ve been there.
My thoughts, experiences, challenges, and goals. Right here. At least once a week or so. Oh, and opinions, too. Those will definitely come in. Join me!